Synthetic Slate Roofing Is Just As Good
Authentic slate shingles have been a popular choice for roofs for centuries due to their durability and appearance. However, slate is expensive to quarry, heavy to lift, and difficult to install.
Synthetic slate shingles are made by injection-molding petroleum-based materials into metal forms cast from authentic slate. Synthetic slate roofing shingles can be made from virgin or recycled rubber or plastic, mineral dust, or cellulose fibers.
Synthetic slate shingles are a better alternative than slate shingles for many home owners. They offer several advantages:
- Synthetic slate roofing is an environmentally-friendly choice because it can be recycled at the end of a roof’s usable life.
- Synthetic slate is more durable and resists sun damage better than authentic slate.
- Synthetic slate shingles are treated with impact modifiers that help them withstand damage from extreme weather and high winds. They are also fire-resistant.
- Since synthetic slate shingles are lighter than authentic slate, they are much easier to transport and install. A roof does not need the extra reinforcement that might be necessary to install authentic slate.
- Synthetic slate is easier to cut and nail into place than authentic slate.
- Synthetic slate roofs can last up to 100 years. Most synthetic slate shingles have 50-year warranties. They require fewer repairs than other materials over the lifetime of the roof.
At K.P. LaMarco & Associates, our experienced roofers install synthetic slate shingles made by the nation’s top manufacturers. Our products are certified and warranted by CertainTeed, a leading North American manufacturer of building materials.
Call us today at (203) 415-6773 to learn more about our durable and long-lasting synthetic slate roofing solutions.